Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Clarence Hoot: Papua New Guinea's first-ever chair of an APEC working group


From left: Shiu Raj (PIF), Clarence Hoot (IEG Convenor), and Ivan Pomaleu (PNG APEC Senior Official) at the Closing Senior Official Meeting in Bali, Indonesia, October, 2013

But Medan will always go down in Papua New Guinea’s APEC history as where little-known PNG surprised all the economies, by stepping fearlessly forward for the vacant position of the IEG Convenor, which had become vacant that day after the chair had stood up from the chair, and walked off, literally, vacating the position.  This, in itself, was an interesting saga.

PNG was represented at IEG2 by Daroa Peter from IPA.  The IEG, due to the agenda items, or lack of them then, usually lasted for not more than two hours.  During coffee break that day, DP, as Daroa is popularly known among his friends, caught up with me somewhere in the vicinity of the building, to report about “an interesting issue” that had suddenly come up during the morning session.”

“Oh? Tell me about it please?” I asked with interest.

“Well, we were all seated to await the Convenor of the IEG to formally open the meeting.  The Convenor, a Japanese official, dutifully opened the meeting but then in the same breath, he surprised the whole lot of us by advising that he was not going to continue acting as Convenor of the IEG; that it was time, some economies shared the workload as well.  Then he just got up abruptly and left the chair, vacant; just like that!”

“Wow!” I exclaimed. “Then what happened next?” I enquired.

“Well, the old man, John Kitchen, from Australia, quickly got the meeting’s consent for Australia to act in the role, while economies decide the next course of actions!”

I started grinning.  DP looked at me, as I grinned, with confusion written all over his face.

“What are you grinning about?” He asked me, with a hint of concern in his voice.

“I think we have our break here.  Lets put Clarence’s name forward as the convenor.” I said.

“Can we? He asked incredulously.  “I thought we needed approval from the Chief Secretary or Cabinet first?”

“Of course, we can. We are a member of APEC, aren’t we?” I smiled back.

Taking into considering the time difference between PNG and Indonesia, I quickly shot an email to Frank Aisi, asking him to see, and if possible, secure, approval from Sir Manasupe, for PNG to put forward Clarence Hoot’s name as its nomination for the vacant position of the IEG Convenor.  The approval came back within the hour.  Armed with the approval, I returned back to the IEG plenary room, this time, accompanied by John Maigu.  Sidling up behind DP, I tapped him on the shoulders.

“Chief Secretary Zurenuoc has agreed for PNG to put forward Clarence Hoot’s name as a nominee for the vacant convenor’s position.  Please put up the nameplate and inform the meeting” I told him.

“But CH hasn’t been informed yet,” DP shot back.

“Don’t worry about that.  I have just informed him a while ago.  But he thinks that our nomination wont get the endorsement of the members, so he has dared us by agreeing.”  I told him with a hint of finality.  “Please raise the nameplate when the agenda comes to AOB and inform the meeting that PNG is formally putting its nominee forward.” I asked again, but this time, with some firmness in my voice.

Ever since becoming a member of APEC in 1993, PNG has never held the chairmanship of any APEC fora or sub-fora.  The OPPLAN2018, besides scheduling the convening of APEC meetings as part of our test-runs for APEC 2018, also included the chairing of actual meetings, because that was what hosting an APEC year entailed for the host: the host chaired meetings.  We needed to build confidence in that area, if only to secure the support from economies by showing our ability to chair meetings as well.  I knew it was always going to be a hard ask convincing economies to endorse our undertaking to host APEC in 2018.  Sure enough, this issue was raised by our Australian colleague the very next day.

The following day, I was having a quiet cup of coffee in one of the numerous lounge areas which our Indonesian host had graciously provided for all delegates.  As I stood there, pondering the next course of action, in the event my original plan didn’t work, the acting convenor rocked up to me.

“Good morning,” He said, and introduced himself.

I responded likewise, and in the same motion, offering him space at the high table.

“Listen,” he commenced without so much as a preamble.  “I thought that, as a good friend, and close neighbour, you should get this from me first: There are a number of economies, including ours, who feel that you are not ready to chair any APEC fora at the moment.”

“What? What do you mean?” I asked him back, bewildered and confused.

“Well, let me put it this way: we feel that a baby needs to learn to crawl first, before it can walk!”  He told me, straight up.

I paused to collect myself from this insult. “Sir, we are going to host APEC in five years time.  To do so, we need to learn also, how to chair meetings.  The person we are nominating is suitably qualified for this role.  Do you also mean to say that we are not ready to host?  I am truly surprised, and in fact, disappointed, that you, of all people, feel that way.  Prime Minister Gillard didn’t think so when my leader met her on the margins of the AELM last year.  Are you sure this is your national position, or yours personally?” I asked him quietly.

“Well, that’s how we feel.  It would be best to withdraw your nomination.  Because if you continue, you might fall, and it would be such a great fall which you will not be able to recover from?”  He continued, undeterred with a sly smile.

I had had enough.  I was not going to stand meekly by, and allow this old man to hurl insults, one after the other, at me.  “Listen, old man.” This got his attention.  “You are starting to piss me off. I think you should walk away now,” I told him quietly with venom in my voice, at the same time trying to scare him off.

But this old man was one tough cookie.  He didn’t budge, but shot back quickly: “You want to make something out of this, huh?  May I remind you that I was captain of the Australian Schoolboys rugby tour to South Africa and I was sent off for fighting,” He threatened back.

Not to be outdone, I shot back: “Well, I didn’t break my front tooth playing netball,” I warned him.  I was not going to sacrifice the implementation of the OPPLAN2018 just because one taubada was telling me I couldn’t.

Before we could suggest a venue for this show-down, I heard John Maigu suddenly yelled out my name from afar.  The both of us looked his way only to see him quickly approaching us, with a smile on his face, brandishing a letter.  Without realising the very tensed situation he was walking into, or rather, abating, with his presence, he jovially greeted the old Australian, and then excused himself and gave me the document.  It was the formal letter from Sir Manasupe, addressed to me, authorising me to formally put Clarence’s name forward.  After reading the contents, I suddenly held the letter right next to the old man’s face, much to the bewilderment of a surprised John Maigu, and told him, with finality: “No bloody way, we are putting his name forward.” Then beckoning to John Maigu, we both stormed off, leaving him fuming in our wake.

I went to the Common Delegation Room, to await my 1pm meeting with Heather Grell from the US-TATF.  In the quietness of the room, I beseeched God for advice and inspiration.  “Please God, show me a sign that I am on the right and correct path.  You are leading us on this great national endeavour, please don’t let others deter us from this noble undertaking, if it is truly thy will.” I begged him.  As soon as I said, “Amen” Heather was slowly making her way towards me.

“Hi Lahui. Whats with the long face?” she greeted me in her usual exuberant manner.

I told her what had just transpired earlier.

“Take it!” She told me.

“I beg your pardon?” I asked.

“Take it. That’s the only way economies will believe that PNG is capable of hosting an APEC year.” She said with finality.

I quickly mumbled a thank you to the One Most High for answering my prayers within seconds of saying Amen.  He had sent an angel to deliver me His answer to my prayers.  The both of us then commenced discussing the next US-TATF Capacity building workshop on APEC, in Port Moresby, which we both agreed to schedule to sometimes in November.

That evening, I rang Clarence to inform him of the progress.  He told me that he had reservations on his own ability to chair such a meeting at this international level.  He also reminded me of the fact that I was a referee in his application for a job at the Forum Fisheries Agency in Honiara, Solomon Islands.  I told him bluntly that he wont be considered for that job because I had prayed for his convenorship of the IEG and my prayers had been answered.

Clarence Hoot was appointed as the new Convenor of the IEG that CSOM in October, 2013.  But this didn’t deter those economies who didn’t believe in our capabilities, from going ahead and securing consensus for this position to be co-convened by two economies. So, Chile became one of the other
co-Convenor of the IEG.  I took this as another subtle insult by certain economies to provide an alternative Convenor in the event “those Johnny-come-latelies” collapsed in their attempt to punch above their weight.  All these were reported to Ivan when he arrived later on in the week for his SOM plenary sessions.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(This excerpt is part of Chapter 12 in my upcoming book titled, "Running on Faith: the PNG APEC Story"

No comments:

Post a Comment